Sunday, October 7, 2007

Back to basics

Sheesh, taking chances & becoming vulnerable can be pretty scary. I've grown very comfortable & confident in my sobriety's progress, and new opportunities and life situations have been steadily opening up to me. I must remember to remain patient, humble, and clear-headed as I face them.

Instant gratification has always been, and still is, my inner-alkie's most effective weapon of choice, and it's a true test for me sometimes to properly clarify & interpret my motivations. But, hey, new challenges are good - they keep me on my toes and continue to energize my recovery program. Keeping that dynamic is a good thing.

"Alcohol - cunning, baffling, powerful..." And patient. I can't ever afford to forget that, especially when things are going so well! One of my treatment counselors used to remind us that--even in times of strong sobriety--our addiction will forever be nearby just out of sight (doing push-ups, haha!) quietly waiting for that weak moment.

Hmmm, that sounds kinda dark & despairing now that I read it, but it's not at all. It's simply a fact of life for we recovering addicts & alcoholics. As long as I work a good & honest program, keeping my inner-alkie effectively beaten down is actually not very difficult.

Just can't get suddenly creative, cocky, or cavalier. Get back to basics. Bring it on! ;)

A work in progress...
----------------
Now playing: ministry - jesus built my hotrod

0 of y'all tellin' it like it is:

Post a Comment

Write on!