Sunday, September 13, 2009

I never thought...

...something like this would happen to me.


You see these insurance commercials on TV, and think "Those poor people. Hope that never happens to me". Well, it can!

Summary: Next door neighbor's house filled with gas. They were home (family of 5 - very nice, sensible people), and smelled the gas. They were in the process of opening windows, and clearing out when the Dad flipped a light switch in the basement (probably just out if habit) - then, BOOM - literally. The neighbors across the street said it was like a huge bomb went off.

The family all were either outside (Mom and baby) or got out of the house (dad and one daughter) with treatable burns. The other 10 year-old daughter was trapped in her room by the blast and needed to be pulled out by another neighbor who busted through a window to get her - she's suffered some internal bleeding from the blast, but is projected to make a full recovery. That neighbor is a great guy, and is a real hero!

It truly is a miracle none of them were killed - thank you, Lord!

It's all over the local news & newspapers today if you want to read more about it. My Mom said there was national TV coverage showing Obama boarding Air Force 1 at here in Minneapolis, and you can see the smoke from my fire in the background. Lovely. Not exactly how I wanted to be showcased on the national news...


The initial team of adjustors met me this morning. They did a walk-through and took pictures. There was a whole lotta "Oh, this doesn't look good", and they didn't stay very long. That can't be a good sign for me keeping the house, but I won't know for sure for a day or two. I will keep everyone posted on that...

Today, I am going to start my "list" - what I think I can save and what is lost. I'm not looking forward to this. I know it's going to be a long and very sad process. Please pray for my strength & spirit - I'll need it.

Some of my pics from the damage are here - it's a panicky mishmash from my iPhone and my other camera (all taken yesterday after I got on-scene), but it gives you a small idea of the damage: http://picasaweb.google.com/hydro311/FireDamage

Thanks to everyone for the messages, texts, voicemails, etc - I so very appreciate it - I can't express that enough!!! Please understand if I can't make individual responses to all right now - I'll do my best, but I am so completely overwhelmed right now - I appreciate your understanding, and please don't think I'm blowing you off or am not very appreciative of your support!

I will blog here with bigger updates and on Facebook too - thanks again to all - your prayers and well-wishes are so appreciated!

1 of y'all tellin' it like it is:

Jamie Willow said...

holy moly!

I am SO sorry for your loss. My husband's first house was lost to a fire. It is not an easy road. I will be praying for you and watching for updates.

I am glad the family survived and is doing well. What a relief.

Post a Comment

Write on!