Thursday, February 18, 2010

Blessed

In mid-2009, I decided to become a triathlete. Though I am early in this new triathlon career of mine, I am humbled by the amazing folks I've met so far...

I've mentioned before what a blessing my friends in the distance-running community are - all such healthy, genuinely happy, and encouraging people. Folks in the triathlon world are certainly the same way.

Today, I was blessed to meet more local triathletes who are also in the recovery community. It gave me pause to consider just how many of "us" I now know - a lot!

I really shouldn't be surprised by this - folks who are sincere & earnest in their recovery are ideal candidates to excel in the worlds of endurance running, triathlon, and multisport - such activities truly are a perfect match for us.

Triathlon and long-distance running are examples of activities that most people consider completely out of reach. To folks humbled by & grateful for the miracle of their recovery (even those with little or no endurance background), we know that nothing is out of reach for us. We know that anything is possible, and that belief & confidence in ourselves takes us the distance - by the grace of God, we are able to achieve wonderful and previously unimagined accomplishments in life. And out on the road, on the bike, and out in the water ;)

To all of my fellow brothers & sisters in recovery (athletes and otherwise): May God continue to bless you, and thank you for sharing your experience, strength, and hope. Though you may not know it, all of you are an inspiration to me, and I am grateful to have you in my life today.

To my fellow sober racers - looking forward to meeting more of you and seeing you around in the upcoming 2010 race season & beyond!
----------------
Now playing: eagles of death metal - flames go higher

1 of y'all tellin' it like it is:

Rachel said...

Oh yay! I've missed your blog, friend!

Post a Comment

Write on!