Friday, November 30, 2007

Perspectives & passions

One of my female coworkers is a rather upscale dresser. She has a designer sweater that came with several large holes in it, and - although I don't understand it myself - this sweater is apparently quite the deal in terms of what's fashionable these days. When she wears that sweater, she inevitably gets ribbing from we vogue-oblivious urchins (most men, in other words). She generally takes it pretty well, but I'm sure it must annoy her to some extent. 

I've often wondered what would possess her to buy such a sweater in the first place, but I learned recently that I don't have to look very far to find the answer...

I was showing off my bikes to a buddy who's new to riding, and I was telling him the story of how I built up my single-speed 29er over last winter - explaining why I made certain choices of this part over that, this configuration over that, etc. I was discussing Pookie's Brooks B-17 saddle, going on & on about what a great, classic saddle Brooks produces, and how I got the idea to "hack" it from MTBR.com:

"Oh, it's such a fine & comfortable saddle, and it ended up being just perfect for the Niner!", I gushed exitedly.
So, then he looks over my Santa Cruz Blur and innocently asks why I don't have a similarly comfy Brooks on her too.
"Errr...", I stammered, grimacing horrified as I pictured a now suddenly oh-so-clunky-looking Brooks on sleek lil' Boo-Boo!
"Uhhhh... well, that just wouldn't look right at all... errr... it's just not the proper saddle for the Blur", was all I could pathetically muster as I deflated under the full weight of the fact that I was actually a haute couture bike fashionista!
Is this what I've become?!? We shared a good laugh over it all, but it definitely got me thinking...

All three of my bikes have very different & distinct personalities, and I do indeed dress them accordingly. Although most people wouldn't appreciate the effort I put in to do that, I realized that I do it for my own satisfaction - and that's what matters!

The takeaway? Different stokes for different folks ;) Do what makes you happy - live & let live

Happy trails & good dirt! ...errr... Snow! Whatever...
----------------
Now playing: pailhead - don't stand in line

0 of y'all tellin' it like it is:

Post a Comment

Write on!