Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Iron: Round 2

I haven't bamboozled y'all with some true mediocrity for a while now, so let's get mundane, shall we?

A long time ago, I blogged about my distaste for ironing. And I still have no love for that particular necessary evil, but I've found an interesting new toy. Change is good, right?

I've always been curious if a steamer device like this could be an improvement over the traditional iron & board technique, so I looked into them. Indeed, they seem to offer improved convenience, but good ones are $$$, and Amazon is rife with people who lament their decision to buy the cheapie versions. I decided it wasn't an investment worth the price, but I still looked once in a while on Craigslist and eBay, and I found a nice one recently at a steal of a price.

So I got it.

It's ...well... impressively large. If that alone implies high quality, then I'm all set.

"OK", I decided, "So it's much bigger & heavier than I thought it would be. Even though I feel like one of the knights from 'Monty Python and The Holy Grail' pushing around the Trojan Rabbit every time roll it in & out of my closet, that's really no big deal."

But the fact that it looks like awkwardly out-of-place industrial machinery still irks me. It will certainly remain as well hidden as possible when guests come over:

"Holy crap!!! WTF is that thing?!?"
"It's my clothes steamer. It's sort of like a big iron."
"Yeah, it sure IS big. Dude, how much stuff do you iron?"
"Well, actually not that much, really."
[insert "Are you nuts?" look here]
"I gotta go."

However, it does work pretty darn well - I'll give it that. But it gets all crazy hot & steamy. I never really feared burning myself with my iron, but I just know that I'm eventually going to have an incident with this monster requiring an ice-pack & lots of aspirin. Oh well - new challenges are good for me.

I am determined to tame this machine!

However, I'm still keeping my old iron and board just in case...

----------------
Now playing: talking heads - burning down the house

1 of y'all tellin' it like it is:

Jamie Willow said...

um. I am completely jealous. I have always wanted one of those. I have a friend who has a travel sized one that I also covet. I also do not really have much of a reason to own one and where would I put it? but man they are fun...I once used one to steam the entire million dollar wardrobe for the broadway traveling company doing "Guys and Dolls". That was when I first found my love of the steamer...
And then there was that time when I worked at Tall Girl in the MOA and steamed everything that went out on the floor...wow...this blog comment is practically it's own blog! I'll stop going on and on about my steamer experiences and just say once again. I am totally jealous.

Post a Comment

Write on!