Saturday, February 9, 2008

Mountain High

What a wonderful couple of days it's been! However, right now, there's a monster arctic front raging through - the wind (50 mph gusts!) is kicking up some big brrrr-chilly-looking waves on the Lake Superior shore just outside my window! It's very windy, snowy, and the temps are dropping quickly. It'll be a blizzardy night. I was very fortunate to have yesterday and today to be out on the slopes - I could not have asked for more ideal weather for the two days. My plan to leave tomorrow worked out well - I wouldn't want to have to brave being out on the slopes in conditions like these! Methinks the drive home will be enough of a challenge...

The conditions up here have been fantastic - Friday was particularly ideal. The Porkies are open Friday thru Monday, so on Friday morning, the 8 inches of fresh powder from earlier in the week was just waiting for riders. And there weren't many of us out there on Friday, so it was like having the place to practically all to yourself. The temps were in the high 20s, no wind, mostly sunny, and beautiful snow! Today was no slouch either, although it was busier, and the temps starting dropping in the mid-afternoon along with the wind starting to pick up as the front approached. That was fine though - I was about done at that point anyway, so it made good sense to call it a day.

I'd forgotten what a wonderful thing a vacation can be. I'm very good at rationalizing reasons why not to take a vacation, but there's just something about taking dedicated time away for yourself to do what you enjoy. I don't know what exactly it is, but it certainly does a mind & body good!

I spent the last couple of hours this afternoon riding only switch-stance, which for me is goofy foot. It was a good challenge to to consecutively ride entire runs switch, it definitely helps my overall riding ability. It can be more frustrating at times since it's not as natural of a stance (i.e. much like learning to ride all over again), but I like seeing myself improve - that's a good feeling! My rear-end and wrists may not agree, but they'll recover...

I've managed to keep this trip cheap, but my one splurge was to get a room with a jacuzzi bath. And, omigosh, that tub is worth every penny; I love it! Crank it up, grab an icy cold Gatorade, my book, and I can spend the entire evening in that thing ;)

----------------
Now playing: midnight oil - king of the mountain

2 of y'all tellin' it like it is:

Jamie Willow said...

I totally had my own jacuzzi bath vacation weekend! funny. those things are amazing. and I also had gatorade...no book though...if I'd known I'd have time to read I would have brought a book! it was still very enjoyable. I think we should make it a goal to get everyone we know to have that experience!
We have the testimonials to prove it!

Chris H. said...

They are a heavenly little escape, aren't they? I want one at home! Someday, perhaps ;)

Post a Comment

Write on!