Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Dreams. Those crazy dreams...

As some of you may or may not know, I can't remember dreams I have. It rather irks me because I do know that I have some hella crazy interesting dreams. Once in a while, I'll remember a snapshot or brief sequence or a single line from a dream, but I usually don't remember much of anything.

I do know that I often have recurring places and people in my dreams - the kicker is they are not people I've ever met, or places I've ever visited. To the best of my knowledge, none of these people or places even exist in reality. It's odd when I am dreaming and find myself in or around 'that house' again, and say to myself, "Gee, Self, ain't this odd... Here we are back at this same strange-yet-oh-so-familiar dream house, I wonder what's going to happen here tonight. Well, here we go..." And then I don't remember anything significant, other than being able to consciously use my knowledge of that particular house or building from a previous dream to my advantage in my current dream - even though the overall circumstances or storyline of the dreams are otherwise completely unconnected. I may run into the same faces and places, but they are aren't necessarily the same people from dream-to-dream. And those same houses or buildings? One dream it may be in a cornfield, and the next, it may be in some downtown warehouse district. It's all quite bizarre.

At any rate, I really wish I could remember my dreams. They would make for very interesting stories, to say the least. I don't ever dream about having super-powers, or traveling in time or space, or anything nutty like that. I just have some really unusual yet semi-plausible adventures. Rarely anything ever to do with things currently going on in my life (as much as I can correlate), it's just my brain doing its own crazy thing on its downtime.

For instance, this morning, I woke up and remembered one line - something to the effect of "We have secured the battery, and taken care of the peasant". I don't know if I said it, or was being told it. I do know those weren't code words - only I would have a dream that somehow managed to involve an actual peasant and a battery. Yep, that all sounds about right...

Welcome to my world. Grab a helmet - it's an adventure!
----------------
Now playing: the pop will eat itself - dance of the mad bastards

6 of y'all tellin' it like it is:

Anonymous said...

I have that same exact thing in dreams sometimes. I know I have dreamed this place before, but I know for a fact I've never visited this place in real life. It irks me too (by the way I've never heard anyone else use that word besides me) and I wake up all muddled in my mind....

So, I guess the point of this comment was, your're not alone!

Chris H. said...

Thanks for the comment! It really is so strange - I remember having those moments of clarity when I fully aware that I'm just in yet another dream, and I then wonder if I'll discover some sort of connection 'this time'... The amount of persistent continuity (people, places) almost make it like a bizarre alternate life I lead when I go to sleep. That's why I wish I could remember more - I'd love to put more of the pieces together!

Anonymous said...

You should try some hypnosis sessions to remember more of your dreams. I should take my own advice... all in good time I guess. Getting around to doing that isn't very high up on my list of stuff to do right now though.

Chris H. said...

I have actually thought about doing that, but I'm right where you are with it - when? I know it's just a matter of priorities, and I'm just not that maddened by it all yet. At this point, it's right up there with cosmetically-enhanced whiter teeth and bigger biceps... Yep, I'd sure love 'em, but I'm not diverting any energy to make it happen ;)

The Middle Child said...

I have one hypnosis tape I listen to as I fall asleep (sometimes when I can't relax) but it's specifically for relaxation... nothing else.
I would love to be able to really get into lucid dreaming, that would be so awesome. I wonder if there are any tapes out there to help with that. You'd be amazed at what scripts are available. There's a script for everything from poor self image to eating healthier to anger management.

Chris H. said...

That's another good idea. Not quite as extreme as hypnosis, and a little bit more DITY. I'll have to learn more about that option, thanks! I had a roommate in college who did rather extensive memory tricks & routines to help him remember his dreams. At the time, I thought that was pretty dorky, but maybe he was onto something after all! Live and learn :)

Post a Comment

Write on!