Sunday, August 26, 2007

Q & A

I've been meaning to do something like this for a while now, and recently found a great list of questions on a fellow blogger's site (thanks J Willow & J Willow's mom!). I added a few other questions to the list she had. It's a hoss, so you may want to go to the bathroom first and grab a cuppa coffee before starting... Enjoy!

1.) Weddings or Tea Parties?

Tea parties, I guess. Neither is really my forte…

2.) Favorite Food?
Fave "fancy" food is fresh & well-prepared sushi. Fave "comfort" food is DiGiorno pizza.

3.) Favorite color for plates?
Haven't ever given it much thought. Jade maybe? Dunno…

4.) Favorite color for bedroom walls?
Slate or dark blue. Maybe a green. Or the right shade of grey. Heck, I'm open; it all depends on the lighting. Mine are white now, haha!

5.) Dining Style?
Informal, although I do try to remember to use utensils when in the presence of others

6.) Gas or electric stove?
Definitely prefer gas. Currently have electric though.

7.) What do I like to BBQ best?
No such skills myself, but well-prepared smoked pulled-pork is mighty tasty. And I don't usually "dig on swine" (as Jules would say).

8.) Meal I would make to impress a friend?
My lasagna went over pretty well recently. I'll stick with that one until I feel adventurous again.

9.) Favorite dessert?
Cheesecake. Yummy.

10.) Style refrigerator you prefer?
I like the ones with a water & ice thingee on the outside of the door. I'd like one of those someday…

11.) Gardening or cooking?
Cooking, I suppose. The lesser of two evils ;)

12.) What style car could someone say you are?
No idea. Hopefully, something dependable.

13.) What kind of animal would a friend say you are like?
Maybe a dog? Yeah, y'all have fun with that one!

14.) Favorite piece of jewelry?
My Swiss Army watch that my parents gave me as a college graduation present

15.) Favorite movie of all time?
Being There

16.) Favorite musical instrument?
Piano or saxophone, I like the sound of both. I don't play, of course. I myself am a black hole of musical talent.

17.) Favorite voice?
Carl Kasell from NPR. Garrison Keillor has a great voice too. Blossom Dearie, Sarah Vaughan, and Diana Krall for music.

18.) What words would you just love to hear to describe you?
Responsible. Kind. Patient. Knowledgeable. Considerate.

19.) Who would you just love to impress?
At the end of the day, just myself. When I'm concerned about impressing others, then something isn't right with my motivations or what I'm doing. If I do it "right" for myself, then the right people will be impressed as a matter of course.

20.) How would you want to do that in 10 words or less?
Maintain perspective & focus; do the next right thing

21.) If you had one thing to do over and could make it end differently what?
Nothing. I blogged about this a while back…

22.) If there was one age you loved being what was it?
I like where I'm at right now. Every day's a new adventure.

23.) How do you picture being 65 in 10 words or less?
Hard to catch ;)

24.) What country would you really like to spend 2 weeks in?
New Zealand. Haven't been there yet, but have heard many good things…

25.) What would you like to invent?
Ugh. I know I have something for this, but I can never remember these things when put on the spot…

26.) Favorite magazine?
National Geographic. Then Smithsonian and Outside.

27.) Cowboy on a horse or in a truck?
Errr, I don't dig on cowboys. "Not that there's anything wrong with that!", as Seinfeld would say…

28.) Are you afraid of thunder and lightening?
Not by themselves, but some of the other things they may be associated with can be scary.

29.) Favorite temperature?
Mid 60s

30.) Favorite vacation spot you have been already?
The North Shore in Minnesota

31.) Cheap vacation you liked?
Camping & canoeing on the Buffalo River in Arkansas

32.) Friend you want to do a road trip with?
C

33.) How would you change your looks for a new look?
I wouldn't; I'm quite happy with what I have =)

34.) Hair colors you have tried and liked?
None. I shaved my head once though.

35.) Contests you have won?
I just recently won a Picture Coloring contest at my apartment complex's "Resident Appreciation Week" shindig. Ha, those kids never had a chance! I keed, I keed… I won for the adult category, but I think I may have been the only entry. But, hey, it's a $15 gift certificate to Barnes & Noble – not too shabby!

36.) Home improvement projects you have done well?
I can hang pictures pretty well…

37.) Favorite antique?
My grandparents' dining room set; it's nothing fancy, but I'm lucky to have it

38.) Favorite children's book?
"Where The Sidewalk Ends" by Shel Silverstein

39.) If you wrote a book what would the subject be?
My life, and it would be one heckuva book.

40.) Who would you enjoy meeting again from your high school?
Bob

41.) What question do you need an answer to today?
That maddening "What would you like to invent?" question from earlier!!!

42.) If you could build something what would it be?
Another tree fort

43.) What is your most prized possession?
My bikes. Don't ask me to pick one, they're all listening right now…

44.) How many books have you read this year?
Too many to count. I love to read.

45.) Novels or nonfiction?
Both, but mostly novels

46.) Favorite author?
Augusten Burroughs, if I must right now name just one. There's something on every page of Magical Thinking that makes me laugh out loud.

47.) What art forms do you enjoy the most visually?
Mobiles. I love Calder's work.

48.) What nature walks do you remember?
Crosby Park in St Paul when I was little. Gooseberry Falls & the shorelines of Lake Superior.

49.) What museum would I most likely find you visiting?
Walker Art Center

50.) How many hours of sleep do you need?
Need? 3-4 Want? 7-8

51.) Are you a cuddler or a "don't touch me"?
Definitely depends who's asking! I think a cuddler though…

52.) Do you like to fly or ride trains?
Both. Trains can be a lot of fun. I guess it depends on how much of a hurry I'm in.

53.) What color do you like to wear to bed?
Whatever boxers I have on work just fine. I don't typically change for sleepy time, I just wear less.

54.) If you designed a hat what style would it be?
Something functional, I guess? I'm not really much of a hat person…

55.) Favorite number?
Pi. I was a math major, I'm allowed to be geeky once in a while.

56.) Do you know your bank balance?
Hecks yes

57.) Do you rectify your checkbook every month?
Weekly

58.) Prefer to bank online or use mail?
Online

59.) Favorite actress?
Uma Thurman

60.) Favorite actor?
Peter Sellers

61.) Do you respect one or both of your parents?
Both, absolutely.

62.) Can you speak to a crowd?
You betcha

63.) What would you like to tell the world?
Be generous with your time, resources, and love. Be willing to forgive yourself and others.

64.) Would you rather climb a mountain or go snorkeling?
Snorkel. It sounds less taxing right now.

65.) Sport you simply love?
Mountain biking

66.) Something you achieved that you are proud of?
Sobriety

67.) Favorite scripture passage?
Romans 13.8-14

68.) Favorite book of the Bible?
I can't honestly say I have one. Maybe Psalms?

69.) Marriage good or singledom good?
Singledom is perfectly fine & good for now; I look forward to marriage being very good if/when that time comes

70.) Best marriage you have seen?
My parents

71.) Have you been to a counselor?
Yes

72.) Do you think medications hold the answer to mental balance?
In some cases, absolutely; however, I do believe we are an alarmingly over-medicated society. Sadly, far too many people expect pills to "fix" problems that they lack the courage to ably deal with themselves.

73.) Do you fear doctors or dentists more?
Neither causes me fear

74.) If you could have perfect teeth in 5 years with braces or dental work would you do it?
No. I like my slightly bucked teeth just fine, thank you very much.

75.) What country would you live in besides the USA?
Canada, I guess. Maybe the UK.

76.) What field of work would you think you could succeed in besides what you now do?
Still exploring some of those options now. I think counseling at some point in the future; we'll see where that goes…

77.) Bounty hunter or Zoo-keeper?
Zoo-keeper. I'm not good with one-on-one, potentially violent confrontation. Well, with humans, I mean…

78.) Road construction or Librarian?
Librarian; I think that'd be pretty cool

79.) Chef or Museum Curate?
Museum Curate. Cheffin' definitely ain't my calling…

80.) Photographer or Postal worker?
Postal worker. No skills with a camera.

81.) Model or CPA?
CPA definitely. I'd shoot myself in short order if I had to put up with 1% of the hooey you see on "America's Next Top Model". Ugh. Numbers aren't needy or whiny. I can deal with numbers, even if they aren't terribly exciting.

82.) Actor or Fireman?
Fireman

83.) What are you hungry for right now?
Ice cream. I've been craving sweets lately.

84.) What are you wearing today?
T-shirt, cargo shorts, and Keen sandals - my standard summer outfit.

85.) Christmas or July 4th?
Christmas; I adore the Holiday season

86.) Do you have a tattoo?
Yes

87.) Do you want a (another) tattoo?
Someday yes, I think just one more. I have some ideas, we'll see…

88.) Do babies make you feel soft and warm or like running away?
I definitely like babies, but have no long-term experience with them. I guess the best way to put it is that they generate a nervous excitement for me.

89.) Do 5 year olds make you laugh?
Most of the time, yes. If they don't, then I boo & heckle.

90.) Are teens fun or challenging?
Both I'm sure, but I haven't had a lot of work with them directly.

91.) What facial expressions do you make when you think of kids?
Usually a smile ;)

92.) Are older folks interesting to you?
Yes, definitely. Experience is life's best teacher.

93.) Do nursing homes make you uncomfortable?
Most do. Some don't. It depends on the overall atmosphere; I know as soon as I walk in the door.

94.) Do you like to ham it up for the camera?
I'm often rather awkward when there's a camera out

95.) What city in the USA would you like to live in for one year?
Seattle or Portland maybe? Haven't though about it much. The Pacific Northwest is attractive, though.

96.) If money were no object would you stay where you are or move?
Move, but not too far. I'm pretty happy with the local area for now…

97.) Do you mind taking care of sick people on occasion?
No, if there is a need and I am able to help, I don't mind

98.) Can you handle a medical emergency?
Yes, for the most part. Although I'd have a really hard time sawing off my own arm like that one hiker had to do a while back, so I definitely have my limits.

99.) Are you cool under pressure or fall apart?
Cool. Plenty of experience there…

100.) Have you survived a disaster?
Yes, but everyone's concept of "disaster" is different

101.) If life full of joy or full of pain?
There are always some of both, but neither should be absolute or all consuming. Both are necessary for proper balance & perspective.

102.) Glass half full or half empty?
Half full

103.) Are you cool or hot?
Cool

104.) Do you want to be a hero?
I just want to do the next right thing with whatever's in front of me

105.) What is your favorite dog breed?
German Shepard. Labs are nice too. Larger breeds, that's for certain.

106.) Cat or dog?
Dog, definitely. Cats are only good for mousing.

107.) Diamonds or rubies?
Diamonds, I guess. Not really into that kind of bling, though.

108.) Hot dogs or corn dogs?
Corn dogs

109.) Chinese food or Italian?
Italian. Thai over Chinese for asian food.

110.) Cinderella or Tinkerbell?
Tink

111.) Where were you when 9/11 happened?
St John's, Newfoundland, Canada. Some of that story is in my "Past-Life Adventures" picture gallery. It was crazy, to say the least.

112.) Favorite body part?
Hands, they are pretty cool indeed

113.) Are you superstitious?
No

114.) Are you suspicious?
No, but I try to maintain a healthy skepticism when appropriate

115.) Do you notice details?
Yes, sometimes. How's that for an answer? ;)

116.) Favorite TV detective?
Chief Wiggum

117.) Favorite cartoon character?
Calvin

118.) Do you want a pool or a tennis court?
Neither; if I had that kind of spare space in my backyard, I'd put in a mountain bike pump track.

119.) Would you feed starving kids or help the humane society if you could?
Help feed the starving kids. Then teach them to be responsible pet owners.

120.) Do you fake bake, tan in the sun or avoid sun?
Avoid. Sheesh, I'm Irish and Norwegian - my only two color options are pale white and sunburned.

121.) Favorite part of the newspaper?
Editorials

122.) What book are you reading now?
The Divine Comedy - Vol II: Purgatory

123.) What's on your mouse pad?
No mouse - I like my trackball

124.) Favorite board game?
Trivial Pursuit? I haven't played a board game in a while…

125.) Favorite smells?
Outdoors, deep in the woods - that earthy, woodsy smell (especially after a rain!). And my bed after washing the sheets.

126.) Least favorite smells?
Paper-processing plants. Sulfur.

127.) Favorite sounds?
My bike shoe cleats clicking into my pedals, or that whoosh of powder spray on that first carve of a snowboard run. And the "Four Fans of Freedom"; I'll always love that sound :)

128.) Worst feeling in the world?
Failure of self

129.) What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning?
"What on earth was THAT dream all about?!?" I have some wild & crazy dreams, but I can't ever remember them once I'm fully awake.

130. Favorite color?
Earth tones & pastels. Yeah, that wasn't very helpful, I know…

131.) How many rings before you answer the phone?
Depends what Caller ID says!

132.) Future child's name?
Haven't given it any thought, but I don't have any "musts" here

133.) Chocolate or vanilla?
Vanilla

134.) Do you like to drive fast?
No. I'm getting old I guess. I can't say that I particularly "like" to drive at all.

135.) Do you sleep with a stuffed animal?
No

136.) What type was your first car?
'95 4-door Saturn SL2 sedan

137.) Meet one person dead or alive?
Bill W. (founder of AA)

138.) Favorite alcoholic drink?
None for me, thanks. I'm allergic.

139.) What is your zodiac sign?
Pisces. I only know that because Blogger automatically puts it in your blog profile. I'm not an astrology person; I leave that to the pros like Miss Cleo...

140.) Do you eat the stems of broccoli?
Yes. And the entire asparagus stalk, and peanuts & sunflower seeds whole (shell & all). Weird, eh?

141.) Do you type with your fingers on the correct keys?
No, I wish! I occasionally practice; I do actually have a typing program on my computer. I can hunt-and-peck like a champ, though…

142.) What's under your bed?
Storage bins containing extra bed linens and older clothes. Leave no room for monsters or any other ill-intentioned entities.
----------------
Now playing: iggy pop - lust for life

2 of y'all tellin' it like it is:

Jamie Willow said...

oh fun! my mom would be so proud :)

Chris H. said...

Many cheers! It was fun indeed; those are great questions - thank you!

Post a Comment

Write on!